Monday 16 May 2016

Chettinad Chicken Masala

My family is spread across the globe and with the fast paced life - I have lost access to some simple yet soulful dishes we used to make at home - those that were regulars at home, once upon a time. From simple daal to shaami kebab, khattey saalans made by naanima, idli sambar, gajar ka halwa, veg biryani, macroni made by my Khalas (maternal aunt) , sheer khurma by my grand dad , all types biryanis to rumaali dum ke sevaiyyan made by my phuppu (paternal aunt) and of course, the pearl on the crown - Prawn Biryani and Crab fry made by my mom!!!! Oh yeah - I am a great foodie


I have planned  to pen and recreate their classic recipes and create a recipe journal here, so my cousins/aunts/friends or maybe my kids would someday reference this blog for their favorite gal's recipes ;) However I will be posting authentic Chennai Muslim recipes and a few recipes that is cooked at home.. Soulful home food and some gourmet at times.. Which goes unsaid - mostly non vegetarian dishes!!!

I recently learnt to make Chettinad All spice powder, a.k.a Garam Masala Powder from my SIL's mom - which happens to be a closely guarded recipe.. Though this type of chicken is not made at home, I still gave it a try - Though this is not called Chicken Chettinad, but known as Chicken fry/chicken thokku in common households. I will post the recipe for making the garam masala - Duh! I didn't click pictures when I made the masala last time.


Ingredients:

Chicken - 250 gms approx (since its just for 2 pax. with little appetite)
Onion - 1 big sized
Tomatoes - 1 mid sized
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies - 1 split and cut
Coriander - a handful chpped
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Garlic - 5-6 cloves
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Chettinad Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder -  1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 tsp


For Marination:

Ginger Garlic Paste - 1tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves -  a handful (I used the stalks)
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Yogurt - 1 tsp


Method:

Prepare the marinade with the ingredients for marination and chicken. Keep aside for 30 minutes



Prepare the ingredients for curry.



Heat oil in a pan and add 3 tsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, garlic cloves, curry leaves, green chillies followed by onion and cook until onion turns golden brown

 


Add ginger garlic paste, and when the raw smell goes away add tomatoes. Close the lid and cook on low flame until oil separates.



Add chicken pieces, followed by coriander leaves and dry spices.



Let the chicken cook in its own water - add water if required.






Tadaaaa.. The final Presentation!!!



You can serve this with rice, chapati, paratha.. However I served this with Ghee rice (Bagharya Khaana), Aloo Gosht ka Khurma, Chettinad Chicken and some Raita to beat the heat!!



Hope you enjoy and do let me know your comments on how this turned out to be !!

Cheers,

Amrin



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Now i dont have to call our khalas and nanima individually for their signature recipes! Now I know where to go! Many thanks to you sisi 😘

    ReplyDelete

Words can Inspire, Words can Destroy... Choose yours wisely!!!